Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My Favorite Films of 2012

I've given up on the idea of ranking my year-end favorites. Last year's list was completely alphabetical, and so is this year's–almost. The one exception is my number one pick, which I've listed separately. That doesn't mean I like my other fourteen picks all the same way, or for the same reasons. It just means that my feelings for them are subjective enough to make ranking them a slippery and endless endeavor. That's especially the case when I start comparing artistic merit to actual level of enjoyment. Some rank higher in one category, but less in the other, and vice versa. I should also point out that I didn't see everything I wanted to before midnight hit, but who can? So anyway, with the disclaimer out of the way, on with the list:

Favorite movie of 2012: 

Moonrise Kingdom

The other fourteen, in alphabetical order:

Attenberg
Bernie
Brave
The Dark Knight Rises
The Deep Blue Sea
Haywire
Holy Motors
Jiro Dreams of Sushi

The Kid with a Bike
Les Miserables
Once Upon a Time in Anatolia

Sleepwalk with Me
Shut Up and Play the Hits
Under African Skies

No comments:

Post a Comment